Transmission Diagnosis

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission Diagnosis
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:57:00 -0800
Hey all;

Now that I am about to embark on the renovation of my '79 Spitfire, I
thought I might share this problem with the group.  The last couple of
years that I drove my Spitfire (and that was three years ago) I was
experiencing the following problem:

The shifter would go into reverse fine if the engine was cold or off.
However, after it warmed up the only way to get it into reverse without
"grinding a few pounds", was to shut the engine off, shift into reverse,
then restart it.

I am a Physicist and not an auto mechanics guru, so pardon my seemingly
"dumb" questions as I now learn what I would have liked to learn many
years ago.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (mine for all its 20 years)