Re: Transmission Diagnosis

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Diagnosis
From: "Bill Grego" <william@purplenet.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 19:17:39 -0500
Reid, you have a clutch problem. The clutch plate isn't being released
enough by the slave cylinder or bad parts. Parts such as clutch plate,
release bearing or pressure plate can be the culprit. The reason it goes
into reverse when the transmission is cold, is because the gear oil is
thicker and this restricts/ holds the input shaft from turning. As the
transmission warms up and the gear oil gets thinner, the restriction
lessens, allowing the input shaft to turn--resulting in gear clash. The
input shaft must "not be turning" when reverse is selected. Of course it
will go into reverse with the motor off, because the input shaft is not
turning with the clutch engaged or not engaged.

Although this is not related, please do not rely on information contained in
a Haynes manual. I have found countless serious mistakes on some information
contained within.
 Bill Grego