Re: U Joint circlips

To: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Subject: Re: U Joint circlips
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:24:47 -0800
Chris,
By all means don't take any metal off the cups of the clips in order to
fit the u-joints.  Been there, Done that.  I discovered that the flanges
apparently are easily compressed together when removing the old
U-joints.  This makes the new ones display what you have observed.

The flanges will loosen up once they are put under stress and they will
work just fine.  If you remove metal to make them easily fit, they will
be loose after being stressed.

My recommendation is to find a way to stretch the ends of the cup
supports apart and install the circlips.  You won't regret it.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Chris Taylor wrote:

> I just replaced the U joints in the drive shaft of
> my 75 spitfire and have a problem getting the cups
> in far enough in the yoke to get the circlips properly
> seated. They are close, probably within .010" but I find if
> I squeeze them tight enough to seat the clips the U joints
> feel too tight. I had this problem when I replaced the rear
> axle joints so I surface ground the cirlips to fit but now I'm
> wondering if there is some other problem or if anyone else
> has encountered this. I'm sure it is not a needle that has fallen
> to the bottom of the cup because I can get hem so close and
> I am very careful when fitting the cups.
> Any help would be appreciated
> Chris Taylor
> 75 Spitfire
> Burlington, Ontario