U Joint circlips

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: U Joint circlips
From: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:07:03 -0500
I just replaced the U joints in the drive shaft of
my 75 spitfire and have a problem getting the cups
in far enough in the yoke to get the circlips properly
seated. They are close, probably within .010" but I find if
I squeeze them tight enough to seat the clips the U joints
feel too tight. I had this problem when I replaced the rear
axle joints so I surface ground the cirlips to fit but now I'm
wondering if there is some other problem or if anyone else
has encountered this. I'm sure it is not a needle that has fallen
to the bottom of the cup because I can get hem so close and
I am very careful when fitting the cups.
Any help would be appreciated
Chris Taylor
75 Spitfire
Burlington, Ontario