Re: oil filters

To: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil filters
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A. RP2)
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:06:46
Brad, I ran into this problem a month or so ago, and I had always used FRAM
filters, then I found out my Fram was leaking back into the crankcase.  So
off to Pep Boys I went.  They had a big display (it convinced me anyhow)
of a new line of oil filter.  I cannot remember the name of it but it is a
really cool blue metallic color (looks trick) (John Suchak this is almost
the exact color of your spitfire, hint hint).  Anyhow it was cut open next
to a Fram and another brand, The new filter must of had three times the
filter material, it was really packed in there, and had an anti-drain back
valve, along with a teflon treated seal for those that have a hard time
removing these boogers.  I am sure that any Pepboys would know what you are
talking about, it is made by one of the major oil brands, and the name is
similar, I just cant remember which one.  Sorry.

Patrick Bowen

At 11:59 AM 2/28/99 -0600, Brad Kahler wrote:
>Listers,
>
>Periodically the subject comes up about oil filters and whether or not they
>have the anti drain back flap or valve in them.  I can't find any of those
>posts now and was wondering which filter should I buy for my 64 mk1
>spitfire that would have the anti drain back valve in it.  Oh yea, I've
got the
>stock 1147 engine it the car.
>
>TIA
>
>Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
>My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 2/15/99)
>
>1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L
>1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1965 TR4 CT38888LO parts car?
>1959 TR3A TS41311L       -- 1959 TR3A TS53523L parts car
>1951 1/2 ton Dodge Truck B-3-B-108

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire
Jacksonville FL