RE: soft-top folding on later Spitfires

To: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Subject: RE: soft-top folding on later Spitfires
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:05:07 -0500 ()
On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Dean Dashwood wrote in response to John Suchak's
question:

> Apparently, the correct method is to remove all the snaps at the back of
> the hood and round the two support bars.  Then unclip the front and
> lower the frame.  As you lower the frame, pull the material back and lay
> it flat on the boot.  It will fold in half, with the fold slightly
> higher than the window (so the window isn't creased).  Once the frame is
> completely lowered, fold the material over the frame into the storage
> area.

Dean, that's pretty much it. I'd only add that the factory manuals
recommend folding the quarter windows in towards the center after folding
the entire top (hood) itself forward over the bows. It's easier shown in
person or in pictures than described. But if the top is properly
installed, those quarter windows will almost naturally fold themselves
over during the process.

There's no absolute BAN on simply unlatching the header rail and tossing
the whole assembly back, but that is likely to strain seams and scratch or
damage the "Vybak" windows over time. One can make the top last quite a
long time with the recommended procedure, and it's also much neater when
folded properly.

--Andy