Re: Factory options

To: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Subject: Re: Factory options
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:12:20 -0500 ()

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Doug Mitchell wrote:

> You aren't going to get much help. The Spitfire option list
> was pretty sparse. Hardtop, Tonneau, and Overdrive were the
> only factory installed options. The radio was installed at the
> dealerships, as was any badge bars.

Also among dealer-installed options would have been such items as Koni
shocks. So far as I know, these are legal in "stock" Solo II classes. I'm
not sure what current rules say about wheel width; stock was 3.5" <1970,
4.5" from 1970-79, and 5.0" from 1979 on.

> Between you and me, most tech inspectors don't know what was
> or wasn't factory on the Spit. You can get away with some
> modifications. One that comes to mind is the camber compensator
> as that is allowed in the GCR.....

At one time ISTR that camber compensators or other axle movement limiting
devices were supposedly REQUIRED on swing-axle cars. Sometimes I was
quizzed about the lack of same on my Mk.3 Spitfire at SCCA Solo II events
in the 1970s, but I was never actually kept from running. But the
compensator really isn't necessary on the 1971 and later "swing-spring"
Spitfires.

Mind you, I have no idea what current GCR's state for stock Spitfires.
It's a moot point with me; on the rare occasions that I do autocross
nowadays, it's invariably with the Hardly Boys RaceSpit 4, an ex- GP SCCA
car with some cutting-edge suspension technology (ok, it's really more
like the Kastner manual and the "V" parts list, circa 1968). :-) But it
still works pretty well!

--Andy