Re: up in smoke

To: "nikolai jaremka" <njaremka@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: up in smoke
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:20:05 -0000
>well, what i did was went out and bought a 12volt coil and took the
>ballast resistor out of the circuit all together.  this will give you
>a stronger spark and a little more power and cleaner burning.

Don't agree with that.

When you start you car the coil in a 12v system get's 9 volts opposed to the
12 volt it wants.  In a 6v ballest system you get 9 volts opposed to 6
volts, produceing a much bigger spark for starting.  Having just a 12 volt
coil will give you a worse spark on start.  There is only a dissadvantage in
using 12 volt coil if it's rated energy output is the same as the 6 volt
coil.  The only get a advantage using a 12 volt coil if you buy a high
proformance one, but then again you can also get a high proformance 6 volt
coil and get the extra proformance when starting.  You might need to chaing
the rating of the ballest resistor, by shortening it too match the coil. So
if your replacement coil has half the ohms half the length of the ballest
reistor.

Anyway on with the smoke prob.

The coil should have a resistance of 1.30 to 1.45 ohms. The ballest reister
should match.
Was the engin running, if the ignition was left on but no engin running then
you have 6v/1.3 = 4.6W of power being given off by the ballest resistor.
When the engin is running you expect this to be less, because you are not
connecting it for 40% of the time, only 1.8W of energy (in reality you
expect this to be higher for the energy put into the spark). Lets say 3.3W.

I recon if there are a couple of internal shorts in the coil, leaving the
ignition on and the engin off would produce some smoke.