RE: looking 4 Smog tube info

To: "\"Spitfires@autox.team.net\" \" " <Spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: looking 4 Smog tube info
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:41:00 -0800
Atwell;

No, mine did not have a chance to rust.  Way back in the early 80s when
I lived in South Florida I removed ALL of the emissions stuff (no
inspections in Fla), and threw it all away.  Now that I live in NW
Oregon, well, they have this emissions inspection "thing", and I am
trying to acquire all of this hardware back.  The main item missing now
is that air darn air pipe.

What is your opinion on fabricating one from a piece of heavy gauge
copper tubing?  I reasoned that the originals were made out of steel
because it is much cheaper than copper.  Of course copper is a much
better conductor of heat (and electricity) than steel so that might
present a problem with heat getting back to the check valve and rubber
hose.  However, copper tubing and fittings are easy to find and work
with, whereas I am not sure I could find steel tubing and fittings, and
work with it.

I do have one of the pipes that injects the air right into four ports in
the cylinder head and it seems to be made of a rather thin and light
weight material.

So what does anyone think?

Thanks.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (mine for all its 20 years)

Author:  "Atwell Haines" [SMTP:carbuff@nac.net] at MSXGATE
Date:    3/15/99 5:00 PM

At 08:44 AM 3/15/99 -0800, Simmons, Reid W wrote:

>I have the same problem.  I have a '79 Spitfire and will be needing to
>fabricate one of these air rails myself.  so I would also like the
>dimensions.  Was the pipe made out of aluminum?  I was thinking of using
>copper tubing for mine.
>

>I can find plenty of the air rails that go into four ports in the head,
>but none of the ones that go into the lower part of the exhaust
>manifold.

Reid,

The air pipe to the manifold (single) was steel on my '79. Is yours rusting
at the manifold? That's what happened to mine, it broke right there.

I cut the rusty end off my old  pipe, then made a 'splice' out of copper
pipe (away from the hot manifold) to restore the length.  Got a new ferrule
at the plumbing store too.  Painted the whole thing with POR 15.  You can't
see the repair, it is behind the carb heat shield.

Been like that for 3000 miles now.

Atwell Haines
79 Spitfire
Proud Owner, since 1996. Prouder Driver, since 1998.