Re: Triumph Italia?

To: "Andrew R. Lindberg" <andylindberg@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph Italia?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:15:03 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Andrew R. Lindberg wrote:

> ...I've seen Jamie Palmer's [Italia] at a couple VTR meets
> and it's impressive.  I suppose $9K would be a reasonable price for one.
> Your big problem is going to be replacing body panels/trim/etc if it's bad
> on the one advertised.  I don't think anybody makes the replacements
> anymore.

Actually, the story (legend?) goes that no one ever did. Italias
supposedly were sold here in the States with the express understanding
that spare body panels, etc., would NOT be available. And it might not
have made much difference if they were. I've heard stories of Italias
varying significantly in various dimensions side to side and certainly
car to car -- more or less typical of a largely hand-built car.

Check out Jamie Palmer's information on the Italia at <www.vtr.org>;
click on Models, then on Italia. Arguably, it's one of the prettiest
designs Michelotti came up with for Triumphs (and one can see a fairly
strong resemblance to the TRS Le Mans cars, for example).

--Andy