Re: DPO'd again.....

To: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Subject: Re: DPO'd again.....
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:11:35 -0500

Michael Graziano wrote:

> Well,  it happened again.  The things this guy did to my car completely amaze
> me.
>
> This weekend I wanted to check and/ or adjust my valves (first try, ever).
> Without realizing that I could put the car in gear and push to turn the
>engine,
> I began to dismantle the radiator and fan to get to the crank shaft nut.
>
> The only problem was that I was having trouble getting the radiator out.  Hmmm
> I took out all the screws...  nothing in the way....  But it just won't budge.
> And then I see them.  The dumb SOB WELDED the radiator and shroud into the
>car.
> The two screws on the bottom of the radiator (Which I didn't see, b/c they
>just
> looked like metal deformations (painted over)) were actually welded to the
> brace.  Apparently they broke the screws on the bottom and rather than drill
>and
> repair,  they just welded when they replaced it.  The same with the bottom two
> scews on the shroud.  How the hell did they get in there with a welder?  I
> couldn't even get in there with a grinder.
>
> Needless to say,  I wound up breaking off the lower brace on the radiator and
>my
> shroud's a little mangled.  THe radiator's repairable,  but I might need
>another
> fan shroud.  Anyone have one for a '78 Midget lying around?  Moss and VB
>haven't
> got them listed.
>
> I haven't even gotten to the valves yet.  Anyone have any advice on how to
>check
> and adjust?  I've got the Bently and Haynes book.
>
> I swear,  if only I knew......  I'd have probably bought it anyway......
>
> Mike

Mike,
First, take all your plugs out so there is no resistance to the cylinders.
Second, use your fan attached to the flywheel by a tight fan belt to turn the
crank.
sometimes gets a little tight, but it can be done.
Third, follow the order of checking as listed in the books....

Cheers and good luck

--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Florida
Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
ICQ# 3752712
***************************
TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
http://www.seacoast.com/~jsweet/brotherh/index.html
Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
432 AMS/Autopilot
Member Udorn VFW Post 10249