is my diff going????

To: spit list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: is my diff going????
From: Thomas Carney <gt6in@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:06:50 -0800 (PST)
  I just ventured back to school after my spring break in my GT6+.
The drive is about 300mi and I noticed a peculiar sound over my monza
exaust.  From the rear there is a whining sound which gets
prgressivley louder at higher rpms.  At one point I had to punch the
gas and now the noise is more audible at lower speeds.  It is whining
mixed with some whurring.  Does this sound like a typical failing
diff??  I don't hear any clunks or anything so I don't believe it has
anything to do with the axle u-joints.  Is there a way to trouble
shoot the diff or does it just one day fail?
Thanks
Tom