Re: Found One!!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Found One!!
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:18:36 -0400 (EDT)

I've just joined the mailing list, but it looks like I came in
at just the right time.

According to Laura Gharazeddine:

> Or a 2k car with things like...seats?
>
> I know a guy who just sold a spitfire for $1700-but it hadn't an interior!
> Needed new paint, but it ran decently enough.
>
> > Chris DeStaffany wrote:
> > >
> > > How much?
> > More than I wanted to pay...$3700 (down from $4500 asking).  When I
> > started looking I was hoping to pay about 2.  But 15 cars later I
> > realized that at least in Southern California I'd probably be waiting a
> > long time to find a car I wanted at $2K.
> >
> > Mark Gardner

I just picked up a 1979 Spitfire at a used car lot.  It has some rust
but most of it is on body parts that replacements are available from
people like Moss.  And, of course, the rear shocks are shoot which
led to swaying of the rear spring, but that is also easily replaced.
Other than that, it runs really well and it appears to have been a
one owner car that was always driven with the hardtop on (the soft
top and covers are just like brand new!) had things like regular oil
changes and service and appears to have only 69,000 original miles!!

Where did I find this??  On a local used car lot, for $3000!!
Having called around here looking my guess is the original owner tried
to get the rear suspension fixed for the next inspection (due by the
end of July) and found that a) no one was willing to work on it, b) if
he found anyone who could actually get the shocks the price was around
$80.00 a shock, c) getting a rear leaf spring locally was impossible.
The end result was I got a great car to restore and especially to drive.

In the past, I had a 1972 MGB Roadster, a 1973 Porsche 914 and while I
was living in Europe I had a 1968 Alfa-Romeo 2000 Spyder.  But I haven't
owned a sportscar now since I came back to the states in 1979 (what a
coincidence!!)

I am looking forward to exchanging info with other sportscar enthusiasts
and maybe even meeting some of you at the various events.

All the best.

bill

bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |