locking steering column

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: locking steering column
From: bkahler@omc.ja.dtra.mil
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:42:56 -1000
Listers,

I've been discussing off list with another spitfire mk1 owner and the
discussion of his steering column lock came up.  His car was originally
manufactured in Belgium (comm  # BFC2xxxx).  He told me it has a steering
column lock on it and felt at first that someone had added it at a later date.

However, looking through John Thomason's book "Triumph Spitfire & GT6
Guide to Originality" book it specifically mentions that as special order a
steering column lock could be purchased for the Spitfire Mk1.

Also looking through Bill Piggott's book on TR4/5/6's he mentions that the
TR4s could also have a steering column lock installed as special order OR if
the car was destined for the German market then the steering column lock
was standard equipment.  Since the spitfire and the TR4 use basically the
same steering column I'm going to make the assumption that the lock
assembly would have been the same for both cars.

So, have any of you ever seen this type of steering column?  If so are there
any pictures available as to what it looks like.  Or better yet would anyone
happen to know where one is available?

Next, was the ignition switch part of the steering column lock?  If so what
did they put in the hole in the dash where the ignition switch originally was
place?  His car currently has a cigar lighter there but he mentioned that it
doesn't really match in style what the other instruments and switches look
like.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

TIA