Re: locking steering column

To: <bkahler@omc.ja.dtra.mil>
Subject: Re: locking steering column
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:00:46 +0100

>I've been discussing off list with another spitfire mk1 owner and the
>discussion of his steering column lock came up.  His car was originally
>manufactured in Belgium (comm  # BFC2xxxx).  He told me it has a steering
>column lock on it and felt at first that someone had added it at a later
date.
>However, looking through John Thomason's book "Triumph Spitfire & GT6
>Guide to Originality" book it specifically mentions that as special order a
>steering column lock could be purchased for the Spitfire Mk1.

True. It was a post production fit if the destination market did not require
one as a line fit.

>Also looking through Bill Piggott's book on TR4/5/6's he mentions that the
>TR4s could also have a steering column lock installed as special order OR
if
>the car was destined for the German market then the steering column lock
>was standard equipment.  Since the spitfire and the TR4 use basically the
>same steering column I'm going to make the assumption that the lock
>assembly would have been the same for both cars.

Again, true. Usually, the lock was of a make called WASO and I think was
German manufacture.

>So, have any of you ever seen this type of steering column?  If so are
there
>any pictures available as to what it looks like.  Or better yet would
anyone
>happen to know where one is available?

Unlike later locks, it didn't have a shroud and was usually fitted just
where you smashed your shins into it - if you weren't expecting it to be
there. I never took one off but I do know it was clamped around the steering
outer column and held in place with two left hand threaded bolts with shear
off heads. The reason they were left-handed was mainly to deter a would-be
thief. It was assumed the thief would undo the bolt anti-clockwise and in
this case the bolt-head would shear. Removal of the lock then required long
term residence in the Land of Plod.

>Next, was the ignition switch part of the steering column lock?

Yes.

 If so what
>did they put in the hole in the dash where the ignition switch originally
was
>place?

Nothing as far as Coventry build cars were concerned. They left the original
lock in place but disconnected it and the wires that would have run to it
were diverted to the steering lock.

His car currently has a cigar lighter there but he mentioned that it
>doesn't really match in style what the other instruments and switches look

Hope this helps

Jonmac