Re: Convertible Tops

To: "Susan Hensley" <susan@bearcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Convertible Tops
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 20:24:21 -0700
Regarding Amco, Robbins and other tops.

I have had numerous spitfires since 1974 - The BL (JRT?) dealers used AMCO
replacements - and I found out why a couple of years ago.
My '63 had an Amco (So did my '78) installed by a dealer somewhere during
its life. The top suffered only a cracked rear plastic window.

On my '80 I ordered a Robbins top. It didn't fit well, no hardware was
installed, and after about 2 years, it had shrunk to the point that the
Velcro would no longer hold the top to the frame above the side windows. It
was a bear to get up if it was a bit cool, and was awful. I replaced it with
a new AMCO and almost  three years on it still looks perfect! (It's a daily
driver, and stored outside.)

My '63 now sports a white AMCO which fits perfect. hasn't shrunk, and has
the 'correct' canvas interior colour (black). The Robbins I saw was the
wrong colour (cream), had a tan interior, and of course no hardware (It's
extra!)

When BL was still around, I used the Dealer and the mechanic's name was Ray.
A couple of years ago, I was in a shop, and ran into him. He's not into
British cars anymore, but still likes them. He took one look at the shrunken
top on my 80 spit, and chuckled. When he stopped laughing, I asked why. His
response took me by surprise! He said. "You've got a Robbins top on there
don't you? You know why the dealers used AMCO? Because the Robbins tops did
exactly the same thing as the original - they shrink at the seams and don't
fit after a couple of years - AMCO doesn't!"

And after all of this - If you want a really good quality top, in canvas
(mohair) Contact John at John Kipping Motors UK. He's great for all parts
and supplies exceptional quality canvas tops. 011-44-120-354-5333 or fax
011-44-120-364-5030