Re: cooling system

To: "david" <engstrom@tstonramp.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cooling system
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 20:37:10 -0700
No comment on acid cleaning the cooling system other than to say "I use
Kleenflo Radiator Flush" only!  I've replaced too many copper seals with
anything else - PS Some engine adatives will also dissolve copper!

>     I did a compression test today. 100 to 110 psi. Is this low for a
>ll47 engine? It was warmed up, but I  forgot to open the throttle.

Try again with the throttle open wide. Should be a minimum of 140 assuming
the engine is in good shape. But the number doesn't matter - what really
matters is that all four cylinders are within 5% of each other overall. My
spec book indicates a range of 130 (LC) -  165 (HC) for the 1147 engine But
doesn't indicate a 'normal' Mine is consistently 145+- 3 psi

Wayne Burton
1963 Triumph Spitfire4
1966 Triumph 2000
1954 Austin A40 Somerset