Re: Dual SU pictures

To: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Dual SU pictures
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:01:11 -0400
Bill Kelly wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Here's a rough depiction of the bracket the stock Herald uses to
> terminate the cable accelerator linkage, similar (same?) to what Phil
> described for the Bond Equipe. Looking toward the front of the car:
>
>                     ____
> ___________________|____|
> ___________________ ____--------> to carb
>                    |    |
>              _^_   |
>           __|___|__|
>
> That's a head stud and nut holding the thing steady at the bottom. The
> vertical run is about 4 - 5 inches. It's truly vertical for the lower
> couple of inches, bends to the right about 20 degrees midway up (not
> shown). The edges are bent back to act as a stiffener. It's pretty heavy
> stock - must have taken one heckuva machine to stamp it out and bend
> those edges back!
>
> There are 2 holes up top. The one in the main vertical run fits the OD
> of the cable sheath. The one in the bent-around end bit is smaller.
> There's a steel fitting on the end of the cable sheath, shaped like this
> (not to the same scale as above!)
>
> ______ -----------
>       |           |_
> cable |  fitting   _------> to carb
> ______|           |
>        -----------
> The little nozzle at the end fits the smaller hole in the bracket. The
> cable is held in place against backing out to the left by the throttle
> return spring. As Phil said, crude but effective.
>
> Clear as mud? Perhaps somebody with a large collection of derilect
> Heralds could send you one (Hi, Andy:)
>
> Bill
> '62 Herald, not derilect
all the late eurpean cars with twin carbs - hs4's used a calbe linkage.
the cable pulled a bellcrank that lifted an arm on the linkage rod
between the carbs.this could esily be fitted to the hs2 carbs as well.
we stock and sell any of the euro/brit twin carb sets so am very
familiar with the linkage. ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive