Re: Type D overdrive question

To: spitlist@gte.net, Mostrom.Paul@principal.com
Subject: Re: Type D overdrive question
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:38:29 EST
Here's another OD question.  I have a single rail J type OD that I'm
considering putting on my Mk1.  I would guess a 1500 flywheel would swap with
an 1147 thereby permitting the 20spline input shaft and clutch to be used as
well.  A swap of driveshaft flanges would permit the use of the 4:11 Mk1 rear
end.  I'd also probably replace the gearshift lever with a stock Mk1 (this
would probably necessitate cutting the old and new levers and weld the mk1 to
the single rail ball).  I'd use the steering column OD switch to maintain the
look of originality.  About the only thing missing would be a relay (not
needed for the J-type).  Oh yeah-I'd put that "overdrive" on the boot.
Anyone see any complications that might arise?  Anyone have the column
mounted switch, bezel, and badge for sale or trade?
Bill Brockschmidt