Re: Leaky ZS Carb Dashpot

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>,
Subject: Re: Leaky ZS Carb Dashpot
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 20:49:29 -0500
At 01:30 PM 01/05/00 -0500, Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou wrote:

>The carb dashpot on my MKIV has started losing its oil.
>I fill it, and a few days later it is totally dry.
>Obviously it is leaking past the o-ring that seals
>the needle adjusting screw.
>
>Does anyone have advice on fixing this?

Doug,

Below is the advice I got from Charlie Brown when mine needed replacement a
couple years ago.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

++++++++

Replacing the O-Ring inside the Piston

From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Re: ZS Carb, oil loss

Q: The Zenith-Stromberg carb on my '79 Spitfire will not retain its oil
inside the dashpot (or more precisely, the "air valve guide rod").  If I
lift the air valve it just pumps the oil into my intake.

I would like to replace the o-ring over the metering needle adjusting
screw.   But I can't figure out how to remove the retaining clip(s) without
possibly damaging them. A picture of what I am referring to is on page 15-4
of the Haynes Carb manual.

Can anyone help me?  The last sentence of the above-referenced page says
"The [needle adjusting] screw is not removable."

A:  Take out the piston, remove the needle, and using a 1/4" wooden dowel
[or unsharpened wooden pencil], tap the adjuster back up the bore and out
the top. Be careful not to lose the star washer that will come out first.
It's small, and probably near impossible to replace (just a guess).

Replace the O-ring, reinsert the adjuster in the top of the bore, set the
star washer back on top and drive the whole assembly back down the
bore--the adjuster will keep the star washer square to the bore.

Have fun,
Charlie B.