Big HP/small displacement

To: "spitfires-digest@autox.team.net" <spitfires-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Big HP/small displacement
From: Allen Patterson <kormanfastbmw@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:38:57 -0500
We've built 1.6 liter BMW's to 650 HP at 29psi turbo boost.  They're
affectionately referred to as "velcro" engines, as the lifespan is about
3 hours (1 race) and it's time to tear them down and start over.  I've
never played with an 1100 hp variant, but anything is possible in F1.
There's a formula out there for calculating HP at a given boost pressure
for a given displacement, probably another multiplier for nitrous which
essentially acts like boost. (Corky Bell's book Maximum Boost probably
has all this) Forced induction is a replacement for displacement.  6-8
lbs. boost is about all you want to add to a stock engine (depending on
compression ratio, etc).  Over this, you'll want a purpose built turbo
engine.

Allen Patterson