Re: Nitrous Oxide

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, <A666K@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Nitrous Oxide
From: "Ron Krantz" <rkrantz@Prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:56:06 -0500
It's called bench racing - and the first liar doesn't stand a chance.  The
only true comparison would be back to back chassis dyno runs such as
Grassroots Mag. has conducted in the past.  The 1.6 hp per cubic inch is not
unbelieve - I am making over 130 hp from my 1147cc.  What does it take -
Lighten everything, balance all rotating parts to 0.1 gram, largest valves
allowed, modified carbs, crank fired ignition, modified / flowed cylinder
head, and a wild csmshaft, 15:1 compression, and 114 octane fuel. Yes it
does idle at 2000 but redline is 9000.  Real power is between 7000 and 8500
rpm.  In short there is nothing stock in the engine.
The biggest problem with the 1500 engine is the crankshaft and it has only 3
main bearings.  There are aftermarket cranks available and you can reinforce
the main caps.  145 / 150 hp is not unreasonable - but not cheap.
Nitrous is a cheap way to get instant hp - but is a major rebuild waiting to
happen.  I saw the Rotary Spit at the Runoffs at Mid-Ohio - and that is
probably the best hp/weight ratio conversion going.  But then it's not a
true spit anymore.
Ron
ReK Racing