Cu in Vs. Technology

To: "List, Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cu in Vs. Technology
From: Richard Gosling <rbgos@perkins-engines.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 16:13:39 +0000
Just adding my little input to the cubic inches arguement.  Compare and
contrast:

Lotus Esprit GT3 - 240 bhp, 182 bhp/ton, out of a 1973 cc 4-cyl engine
(120 cu in).  And that's without having to rev to 9000 rpm like the
Honda S2000

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - 284 bhp, 176 bhp/ton, out of a 5700cc V8 engine
(348 cu in)

The Camaro may have more horsepower, but that's no good if you are
heavier - it's power-to-weight ratio that counts.  That extra 650lb
can't do any good for the handling either.

Making the most out of a small engine has always been the British
preference (Bentley and recent TVRs excepted). while throwing extra
capacity has seemed to be the American approach - while visiting the
States a few years ago for several months I bought a '68 Ford Fairlane,
with a 5 litre V8 - in what was supposedly a family car!

It is good to see that there are those on the far side of the Atlantic
who appreciate the British approach, just as I enjoyed the American
approach while over there.  We'll keep building cars that go fast round
corners, and you can keep building cars that go fast in a straight line
(although the Esprit is faster that the Camaro either way!).  Long may
it continue that way - it's what makes us different and interesting to
each other!

Richard and Daffy (recently recovered from a bent wishbone after hitting
a car park kerb in the snow a couple of weeks ago!)

P.S. I know that the Esprit and Camaro are very different cars, and the
Esprit is almost twice the price - I was simply trying to illustrate
what can be done, for road use, with a small engine, if you really try!