Re: Custom Headers and Roll Bars

To: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Custom Headers and Roll Bars
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 08:15:47 -0800
>how hard would it be to make a custom header for my spit.  I am wanting to
>place one on the new race car,  but not spend a fortune for a 2 into 1
>header.   The same goes for a Roll bar and cage.  Why types of pipe do I
>need, where can I get it?  Is there anything I need to take into
>consideration that I might be missing.
*************************************
The hardest part will be either making or buying the flange.  A good flange
would be at least 3/8" thick, 1/2" inch would be even better.  Let me know
if you find a supply as I would love to get one for the GT6+. The mandrel
bent tubing can be bought almost at any large auto parts place, but I've
found J. C. Whitney has a really good selection of mandrel bent tubing, in
all sorts of sizes and bend radii.  Really useful for when I built my
header sets and in fact I used it to make the complete 2" dia system an all
my cars/trucks - and when I eventually build the "tri Y" for the 70 project
that's where I'll order mine from.

The roll bar is another matter -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)