Re: Dash Veneer

To: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Dash Veneer
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 09:37:42 -0700
Fred,
It's your "one vote for contact" calling!  If this waterproof
cabinetmaker's glue sets up quickly, it would be ok, but I haven't seen
any that adhere as well and as quickly as contact cement. and that's the
problem with most adhesives other than contact cement.  The material
must be pressed into place the entire drying period or it is likely to
lift.

Contact cement, on the other hand is applied to both surfaces and
allowed to dry for a short period and then the laminate (or veneer) is
carefully applied to the surface.  A roller is used to ensure that there
is proper adhesion and you can immediately begin trimming the excess.
After that, there is no problem with the surface peeling back.

Regards,
Joe

Fred Griffiths wrote:

> Well, I've had one vote for contact (definitely!), one for waterproof
> contact and one voe for waterproof cabinetmakers glue.
>
>         So I guess I'm still undecided.
> Cheers, Fred
> --
> Fred & Wendy Griffiths