Re: tires (long)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tires (long)
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:41:20 -0500
Not all tires are created equally...

Recently, I called a local tire center and asked them what tires they had
to fit a 5.5" x 13 rim. They gave me two choices. Well, I decided to
research the two choices (which were VERY inexpensive) so much so that I
decided to research them and compare them to other tires in that same size
by the same manufacturer. I found that they had a reason for being so
inexpensive....They weighed a ton and were shaped like donuts (7.5" at the
widest point (the bulge) and 5" at road contact at full inflation (I'd hate
to see what it looked like when it was under inflated).

So I started to compile this list of available tires from a few
manufacturers with their stats to decide which tires I wanted. (I was
looking for something with good tread width, light weight/static load
radius, and decent life (milage warranty).

After I compiled the list, and found a tire I wanted, I called around to
see who could get that tire. The first place simply said "we don't have
that." and ended the discussion by hanging up on me. The second place had a
"salesman"..."well, if you need a 13inch tire, I can sell you these
185R13's (the same lead-lined donuts another place tried to sell me on days
before). Why do you want that specific tire?" He eventually asked me after
he finished his spiel. And when I told him "Because they're 8 lbs. lighter
and more durable than those concrete impregnated donuts, and have a 2"
wider road contacting tread." After a short pause of contemplation, the
saleman tells me..."Yeah. We can get those for you. Should take 24 hrs."

I'm not sure what sort of time-line you're working on, but I'm currently
compiling copious amounts of data on various available tires that will fit
13 inch wheels (between 4" and 6.5" deep rims). The spread sheet includes:

Manufacturer, service description (e.g. 165/70R13 79T) approved rim size,
appearance (black wall, white wall, white lettering), over-all width
(widest point of tire), tread width (contact with road surface), outside
diameter, number of RPMs per mile, traction rating, static load radius,
weight, tread depth, milage warranty, and UIDL info (Treadwear, traction
and temperature resistance.)

I'm looking at another week before I complete the list and data. (Included
are Firestone, bridgestone, Dayton, Goodyear, Pirelli, BF Goodrich,
Yokohama and Michelin. Approximately 200 specific tires, ranging between
155R13 and P195/60R13.
If anyone has other manufacturers that they would like me to reference,
please contact me directly and I'll see what I can do about obtaining the
info for this list.

Terry L. Thompson
tlt@digex.net
'76 Spitfire 1500