Fast Idle (Long)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Fast Idle (Long)
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:21:15 -0500
Yesterday, I removed my coil wire (and a couple of other wires in my car)
as a theft deterrent (someone tried to hot wire the car last weekend and
broke something in the clutch/trans when they coasted down the hill trying
to pop the clutch).

When I went to put the distributor to coil wire back in place this
afternoon, I noticed that the wire was pushed pretty high up into the
wire-boot. So I pulled it out to make sure it recessed well into the
distributor cap and made good contact. Now the car is idling high (around
2000rpm)...

Just as further description, I was experiencing some hesitation and some
other ideling problems this past november, which I assumed that a minor
tune-up would fix, and I replaced the coil (with a 40k volt chrome coil),
and used some Splitfire plugs which I gapped wide (to .030) and changed and
checked point gap, but the wires were new as of march and looked fine, and
dizzy cap was as old as the wires, so I didn't change them. The car
continued to have some hesitation, and idled low, despite the new plugs and
coil. So I just continued to drive it.

This is an older points type distributor.

So, today, I push the wire in all the way and the car idles at 2000 rpms.
Are my splitfire plugs now getting enough juice or something? I would have
figured that if the coil wire wasn't touching the rotor well it just
wouldn't run at all. But I haven't touched anything else on the car since
yesterday (when it idled at 800-950rpm), aside from pushing the wire all
the way into the distributor cap.

Also when trying to reduce the idle, I thought that maybe the fast idle
screw may have been set too far, but I backed it out all the way and it
still idles high (I could turn it in and make the car idle higher but
backing it out had no further affect. The carb was rebuilt about 16 months
ago.

I'm just wondering if seating that wire all the way had any affect or it's
just a coincidence and that it's more likely that my carb float is stuck or
something.

Just wondering if anyone had any input. (Maybe I can just seat the wire
back into the wire boot and see if it does the same thing again).

Thanks,
-Terry
(The Tire list is coming soon. Be patient).
'76 Spitfire (w/points distributor)
Maryland