rear drum adjusters frozen

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear drum adjusters frozen
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 19:29:13 -0800
Hi all...  Knee deep in the hoopla of my brake rebuild.  Since I had so much
trouble loosening the rear drum adjuster on the left side, I decided to
follow the wise footsteps of so many others who have suggested popping off
the adjusters, dismantling, cleaning and lubricating them.

Just one problem.

It seems frozen to the backing plate.  I've successfully removed the two
bolts that hold the thing on, but I can't seem to coax the adjuster off the
plate.  I'm assuming it's rusted in place.  I've tried gently tapping with a
hammer from various angles...  Still no good.

I'm wondering if I might be able to simply clean and lubricate the adjuster
while it's still in place.  Here's my plan -- please tell me if it's sound.

1. Liberally spray with a WD-40-type solvent to get as much gunk out of
there as possible.  Brush out what I can.

2. Spray liberally with brake cleaner to further penetrate the mechanism and
clean out the WD-40 stuff..

3. After everything is good and dried out, hit it with compressed air.

4. Lubricate the mechanism with a small shot of spray-on white lithium
grease.

Sound okay?

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego