Re: Hard-top/Soft-top Mounting

To: Ree Gurley <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Hard-top/Soft-top Mounting
From: Chris Taylor <spitfire@worldchat.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:30:37 -0500

Ree Gurley wrote:

>    I've been running my '78 1500 for over a dozen years with the hard-top on
> during the winter (great!) and the tonneau cover (only) during the summer
> (not so great).  The soft-top has been in the basement patiently awaiting my
> attention to the cracked vinyl quarter-windows (Thanks, PO), which I've
> finally just gotten to.
>    The soft-top is/was attached to the rear cockpit rail with 3 rivets
> (through the snaps) which I popped out when removing it (there was NO
> bar/slat/stiffy along the bottom rear center of the soft-top).
>    Q1: Can the soft-top be installed, folded down, and then the hard-top be
> mounted over it (that is, without permanently removing the soft-top again)?
> I.e., is there room enough under the hard-top rear horizontal interior trim
> panel for the soft-top rear to fold over the body-lip (and then down into
> the well)?
>    Q2: Anybody know the proper width of bar/slat/stiffy at the rear bottom
> of the soft-top?
>    Q3:  (Just curious) On that inside horizontal panel of the hard-top there
> are 3 small snaps - male-type - one in the center and one each toward the
> corners.  What are these for?
>
> Thanx Guys & Gals  -  Ree Gurlely in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit FM 73070U

Ree
The stiffener at the rear of the soft top is 29 in. wide
16 GA. steel. Vicky Brit lists it in their catalogue as
part #9-8981 Top Retainer Bar. It is bent to a flattened
channel cross section and could be rather difficult to
reproduce.
Hope this helps. I believe your other questions have
been answered.
Chris Taylor
75 Spitfire
Burlington, Ontario