Re: GT6 front springs

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: GT6 front springs
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 05:25:23 -0500
Joe Curry asked:

> I am in the process of rebuilding the front suspension on the GT6
> chassis that I am using on my race car project and noticed something
> very odd.
>
> The right spring is longer than the left one.  To make up the difference
> in spring height, an aluminum spacer is on top of the spring under the
> riser where it mounts.
>
> Is this pretty common?  Is this a factory thing?  Or is this some DPO
> thing that I will have to set straight?

Hi Joe..
I don't know specifically about the GT6, but during the run of certain
series, an original spring length was sometimes replaced by a shorter spring
length and a spacer. Obviously the spacer was necessary to maintain the ride
height. If GT6's used this, maybe in your case a single spring was replaced
early in the life of the car, but after the change in spring length. I have
not seen one of each on any original cars...but that doesn't mean that an
error wasn't made at the factory during a change over in spring type (Again,
that is IF GT6's ever did have a change in spring length.)
Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /