reverse gear setback-part 2

To: spits <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: reverse gear setback-part 2
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:58:13 -0500
Greetings Folks; thanks for the replies concerning my gearbox dilemma. I
went at it an hour ago and removed the gearbox cover. Nothing came out
and bit me but I DID find the reverse operating lever just laying up
against the inside of the case. The actuator pivot that goes through the
side of the case is broken. Half was inside the operating lever and the
rest is still in the side of the case.(all pieces accounted for).An
interesting note is that the "bolt" doesn't look like the picture of the
actuator pivot in any of my manuals or catalogs.  Apparently, it was
replaced with a bolt and had a nut between the operating lever and the
inner case wall with a nut on the outside of the wall as well.(yes,
Bill, the PO was there) I'll be sending out an order to Spitbits for the
proper pivot pin and a new lever, as the nut scored the side of the one
I took out. However, before I order, does anyone know if these parts
will go back in without pulling the tranny apart. I can't tell by the
photos exactly how it screws into the lever or casing and if I'll have
enough clearance between the gears and wall if it goes from inside to
out. Thanks to you all for the help I've found on this list !!
Kevin Thompson
1970 MK3  - getting closer
"If you don't like the way my wife drives, then stay the hell off the
sidewalk !"
: ~ )