Re: reverse gear setback-part 2

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: reverse gear setback-part 2
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:58:14 -0800 (PST)

well, that operation can be done without taking the tranny apart, but it's very
difficult.  plan on spending a lot of time in the garage trying to get
everything lined up and threaded together.  the pivot pin threads into the
actuating lever and presses into the gearbox housing with the nut on the
outside holding it tight.  i had a bear of a time trying to get the lever in
the right spot on the pivot pin and then trying to get the pivot pin into the
hole in the casing.  it was a whole bunch easier with the gearbox stripped.

--- KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com> wrote:

> Greetings Folks; thanks for the replies concerning my gearbox dilemma. I
> went at it an hour ago and removed the gearbox cover. Nothing came out
> and bit me but I DID find the reverse operating lever just laying up
> against the inside of the case. The actuator pivot that goes through the
> side of the case is broken. Half was inside the operating lever and the
> rest is still in the side of the case.(all pieces accounted for).An
> interesting note is that the "bolt" doesn't look like the picture of the
> actuator pivot in any of my manuals or catalogs.  Apparently, it was
> replaced with a bolt and had a nut between the operating lever and the
> inner case wall with a nut on the outside of the wall as well.(yes,
> Bill, the PO was there) I'll be sending out an order to Spitbits for the
> proper pivot pin and a new lever, as the nut scored the side of the one
> I took out. However, before I order, does anyone know if these parts
> will go back in without pulling the tranny apart. I can't tell by the
> photos exactly how it screws into the lever or casing and if I'll have
> enough clearance between the gears and wall if it goes from inside to
> out. Thanks to you all for the help I've found on this list !!
> Kevin Thompson
> 1970 MK3  - getting closer
> "If you don't like the way my wife drives, then stay the hell off the
> sidewalk !"
> : ~ )

=====
nikolai jaremka