Re: dustcovers

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dustcovers
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 03:56:47 -0800 (PST)

if by dust covers you mean the metal cup that covers the bearings, then yes,
what the haynes manual shows is the easiest way of removing them and still be
able to use them again.  you will have to find a sheet metal screw that is
large enough to fit the hole, and long enough to reach the stub axel.  and when
you screw it in, it gently pulls the dust cover out.  if it won't come out
nice, you'll have to get new ones, as the only way to get them out then will be
to distroy them.  also, when you put them back together, if you smear a little
grease on the part that presses into the hub, it will come apart much easier
the next time.

--- Earl Smith <earl56@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is an easier way to remove the dust covers
> from the front axles than what the Haynes manual shows?
> TIA
> Earl Smith
> Jackson La.
> 75,76&79 spitfires