Re: dustcovers

To: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dustcovers
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 05:17:59 -0800 (PST)
I've never had to use the sheet metal screw trick.
I always use a medium flat screw driver blade, and tap
gently at the seam, working my way around. For
stubborn ones, you can usually get the edge of a flat
crow bar (slim jim) into the seam and lift/twist.

On the other hand, maybe I've been lucky not to
encounter a really nasty one.

Carter

--- nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com> wrote:

> if by dust covers you mean the metal cup that covers
> the bearings, then yes,
> what the haynes manual shows is the easiest way of
> removing them and still be
> able to use them again.  you will have to find a
> sheet metal screw that is
> large enough to fit the hole, and long enough to
> reach the stub axel.  and when
> you screw it in, it gently pulls the dust cover out.
>  if it won't come out
> nice, you'll have to get new ones, as the only way
> to get them out then will be
> to distroy them.  also, when you put them back
> together, if you smear a little
> grease on the part that presses into the hub, it
> will come apart much easier
> the next time.
>

> --- Earl Smith <earl56@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there is an easier way to
> remove the dust covers
> > from the front axles than what the Haynes manual
> shows?
> > TIA
> > Earl Smith
> > Jackson La.