Jeff's Sandblasting Question

To: Spitfire Discussion Group <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jeff's Sandblasting Question
From: "Ron St. John" <st-john@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:40:01 -0800
Jeff:

Let me first say that I don't know jack about corrosive blasting.  Done
it on a number of occasions but only with sand.  However, I thought I'd
offer this (as a result of my geological education).  Glass has a
hardness of approximately 5.3 on Mohs scale of hardness.  Garnets
(actually a group of minerals) range in hardness from approximately 6.0
to 7.5.  Sand (quartz) is 7.0.  If the hardness of the corrosive media
makes a difference in blasting it would seem that garnet or sand would
be the weapon of choice.

Ron St. John