TR 3

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 3
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:22:35 +0200
Wise Ones
Greetings from South Africa

After a 3 year search I finally bought my first TR 3 on 10 January 2000    [
yes , it's running :-) though it's somewhat difficult to put into gear
:-( I suspect a faulty clutch slave cylinder ].It's a RHD model painted BRG
with black soft top , BRG steel hard top , overdrive :-) , occasional rear
seat , wire wheels and disc wheels .

Commission no. TS 10795 . Body no. EB 10648 . There is also a number 843758
stamped on a plate under the body no .( I have no idea what this number
represents. Maybe someone out there can shed some light on this , please ) .
Engine no. TS 30837 E .
Laycock de Normanville Overdrive Unit serial no. 22/1374/022065 .
Gearbox numbers : CT 26228 ( on left side of gearbox ) 304692 SM ( on right
side of gearbox ) 301768 ( on gearbox top cover between gear lever and oil
level dipstick ). Which number should I use ?

>From these numbers I suspect it to be an early( Jan./Feb. ) 1956 drum brake
system TR 3 with a 1958 TR 3 A high port engine . It currently has front
disc brakes but I suspect it should be drums . I'm also not sure about the
gearbox and overdrive unit but I think it's a TR 4 gearbox and TR 3 A J-Type
overdrive .
Any ideas or comments on this ?

Unfortunately the following items are missing from the vehicle : Center
tonneau rail capping , Glovebox lid stayrod , Boot/trunk lid stayrod +
retainer , Upper + lower grille mouldings , Starting handle guide , Clutch
slave cylinder stayrod , Heater + valve + rheostat switch , Radiator support
rods , Radiator drain tap , Choke cable assembly + knob , Handbrake sealing
rubber and plates sealing rubber to tunnel and floor ,Hard top rear window ,
Hard top rubbers + fixing brackets + protection plates , Sidescreen sliding
windows , Studs and lugnuts for disc wheels .
The DPO also replaced the oil pressure gauge + temperature gauge ( both not
working ), ammeter , egg-shaped overdrive switch , red ignition and amber
flasher warning lamps with aftermarket items . I didn't realise so many
tings were missing or replaced ( might find some more tonight ). Bad luck .
But at least I have my TR and I'm happy .

Let the fun / search begin . But this is Africa , it may take a long time to
find anything TR . So if you could assist , advise , console [or laugh (
hope not )] it would be highly appreciated .

TIA
Chris de Wet
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
DeWetC1@sapo.co.za
[dewetch@sapo.co.za (not sure if it's working )]
TS 10795 ('56 TR 3 )
FC 2507 ('63 Spit 4 ) + 4 FC 25680 , 4 FC 26326 ('64 Spit 4's )
4 FC 69807 ('67 Mk 2 Spit )
1x Herald 12/50 + 1x Herald 1200 Coupe

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments is
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient
please reply immediately and delete this message.  Please do not make use of
it, nor disclose it's contents in any way.  Thank you.