Re: Bead blasting tip welcomed

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>,
Subject: Re: Bead blasting tip welcomed
From: spitdrvr@mail.camalott.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:02:20 GMT
Jeff,

It's an "Angle of Impingement" thing.  If you hold the blast tip at an
approximate 30 deg angle from the part you are working the removal will be much
faster.  It is true that the media is the biggest factor but the angle is the
second biggest.  Where I work I use a 60/80 glass bead, I remove polyurethane
paint and sealing compounds from aircraft surfaces.  Most of the corrosion
removal is done chemically or by other mechanical means.

Hope this helps

N.A. Campiglia III
Abilene, TX (Currently deployed to Prince Sultan Air Base, Kingdom of Saudi
Arabia)
'67 Spitfire MKIII
'74 Spitfire 1500
http://camalott.com/~spitdrvr

> Hello all,
>
> Got my bead blasting cabinet setup last evening and went to work on my
> springs, rear drum covers and some other stuff.  I was surprised at how slow
> things seemed to be going.  Through trial and error, I found that I received
> the best performance by using short bursts of high pressurized air, rather
> than just keeping my finger on the trigger.  I'm not able to remove old
> paint as easily as I assumed I would.  Any suggestions for increasing the
> performance would be appreciated.  Would a smaller venturi aperature work
> better for stripping off paint? I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgable about
> the role of the ceramic tips, either.   Thanks in advance.
>
> Jeff in San Diego
> '67 RHD Spitfire Mk3
> http://www.ohms.com/spitfire/spitfire.shtml

This message was sent using Camalott Endymion MailMan.
http://www.camalott.com/