Re: Halogen Headlamps for Spitfire

To: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Halogen Headlamps for Spitfire
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:43:59 -0500
Do you mean plain old US Spec "DOT approved" Halogen sealed beams? Those
you can get off the shelf just about anywhere - they are standard 7" round
headlamps. They will be brighter than the old sealed beams, but the same
crappy beam pattern. ~$8 US each. I still have a set of the old non-halogen
sealed beams in my 79 Peugeot 504, the lack of light is SCARY!

If you mean "Euro spec" H4 separate bulb headlamps, here are a couple good
sources:

For Hella http://catalog.com/susq/index.htm

For Cibie http://www.talbotco.com/index.htm

These are a world apart - no comparison. Expensive though - ~$70/pair for
Hella, $140/pair for Cibie. I have only used Hella in my cars, I have heard
the Cibies are slightly better.

Technically these headlamps may not be legal in all States, it really
depends on how strict your inspection requirements are. I have never had a
problem in Maine.

Hella does have a H4 version that is "DOT Approved", but I have heard they
are pretty awful, and they cost the same as the proper European version.

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine
Freddy the Spit - with Hella H4 eyes