Devastating setback

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Devastating setback
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:54:43 -0800
Whew...  I just finished re-installing my new front shocks and connected the
front brake hoses to the calipers.  Then, I went about re-installing the
rear drum covers, which turned out to be every bit as hard to get back on as
they were to get off.  I intended to have my rebuilt brakes bled tonight --
and take my first ever drive tomorrow.

It's not going to happen.

To make sure that the cover on the right rear drum was on all the way, I
decided to tighten down he old lug nuts before removing again to fit my hub
adapter for the wire wheels.

Apparently, the splines or whatever on one of those lug bolts that hold the
bolt securely against its' mounting plate has worn smooth enough to the
point where I cannot get the last lug nut off.  The whole bolt just spins
and no amount of pulling or twisting will hold it steady so I can get the
nut off.

Obviously, the lug bolt (and I'm hoping not the plate that it's attached to)
will have to be removed and replaced.  I have enough clearance between the
nut and the drum cover to fit a small hacksaw blade or disc shaped cutting
tool behind it to cut the offending bolt.

Here's my question: What is the most efficient, quickest and easiest way for
me to cut that dang bolt off of there?  If I have to go out to Home Depot to
buy a special tool, I will.

Thanks -- as always.

Jeff in San Diego