Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:40:48 -0600
This morning, I asked:

>When opening my fuel filler-cap, I get a major SWOOSH of air going in.  Am
>correct in assuming that this swoosh is NOT desirable (and indicative of
>some blockage in the canisters/lines/restrictors/vapor separator)?

Thank you, all Spitlisters who helped me solve this one.  The charcoal
canister(s) were jammed up with crud on the upper and lower screens that
hold the charcoal bits within the canister (not really "screens," but thin
metal plates perforated with many holes).  The bibles say these later-model
canisters can't be serviced, but I forced the bottom "lids" off & then
dumped the charcoal & the two screens.  After replacing the cleaned screens
and charcoal, to re-assemble I drilled a couple of pilot holes and secured
the lids back onto the canister bodies with a couple of sheet-metal screws.
After all was buttoned up, I ran around the neighborhood for a while;  after
returning, I popped the fuel-cap, and, VOILA, No Swoosh!

Emergency back-up plans considered if above had been unsuccessful:
   1 - Leave the filler-cap unlatched (swirly fumes not too healthy?
[particularly for smokers]) .
   2 - Get a UK vented cap (Thanks, Graham).
   3 - Remove the rubber seal on the inside of the NA cap (tick off the
enviro-cops?).

Thanks, everyone.  Success, no matter how minor, is very sweet.

-Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 Spit  FM73070U O