Wacko tach-o

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wacko tach-o
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:12:28 -0800
According to my friends' Dwell/tach unit, my mechanical tach is off slightly
in the lower RPM range, but running about 600-700 RPM too hot when I'm doing
freeway speeds.  I drove to my local LBC junkyard today and tried out a tach
from a 71 Spitfire.  No better.  In fact, maybe even worse.

A very knowledgeable gent contacted me off-list about my first inquiry and
explained that my tach could be calibrated by moving the magnet inside
further away from the round metal plate that turns the needle.
Unfortunately, I was not successful in my attempt to do this.

While I was at the junkyard, I ran into another Spitfire owner ('64 and '70)
who is going to call me for parts catalog phone numbers and Joe Curry's
number since he wants to buy a camber compensator after I mentioned one to
him.  On the freeway afterwards, I asked him to clock my speed and the good
news is, my speedo is neat-o.  Right on the money.  So, unless anyone has
any other suggestions, it looks like I'll be packing my wacko-tacho up and
sending it out for calibration.  Bummer.  I do enjoy tackling these sort of
problems myself whenever possible.

Hey, I hit 70 MPH on the freeway and only had my life flash before my eyes
once!  I think I'm gaining confidence in Mrs. Jones!

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones".
www.ohms.com/spitfire/spitfire.shtml