Re: Speedometer on a 78 Spitfire not working

To: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedometer on a 78 Spitfire not working
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:35:50 +0100
This was the situation I had with the Mk IV I had a few years ago, except
that when I bought it I was led to believe it just needed the speedo cable
to be replaced. Well, several months later, after trying various cables &
much scratching of heads at the garage who worked on it, the problem was
discovered to be that my UK Spitfire had a US gearbox which apparently
needed a different connection at the end of the speedo cable. Sorry for the
lack of technical detail here but in my case the 'gizmo' that fit into the
gearbox which the speedo cable attached to needed to be replaced.

I'm sure others on this list will be able to give you more details on this
but I do know that they eventually got it all fixed without removing either
engine or gearbox, just a lot of grovelling around on the floor underneath
the jacked up car.

I did use the tach to estimate my speed during the several months I was
without a speedo. I can't remember the figures I used, (this was about 10
years ago) but there was a thread about this on the list recently so, again,
I'm sure someone can give you approximations to use in the meantime. I do
know that whatever figures I used I never got picked up for speeding though
I've never been known as one to use the full speed capabilities of any car
anyway!

Hope this is of some help - yes I know it's possible, but sorry - don't know
specifics!

As an aside, around this time I had the prop shaft replaced & I remember
going for a test drive with the mechanic with the tunnel removed. What a
strange experience, not only for the noise but to see the road surface going
past underneath us so close to our 'sit-upons'!

Suzie