RE: 1296 engines

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "MikeC" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Subject: RE: 1296 engines
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 21:40:26 -0500
Joe,

That's interesting that an MG engineer is blamed for the consolidation in
the tooling... the "official" reason given for the big bearing 1296 was to
rationalize the machinery (the late 1296/1593 share the same main journal
size as the TR6).  Especially as the MG 1275 was replaced by the Triumph
1500 in the '75 on Midget.. I'd have thought the MG engineers would want to
IMPROVE the engine.

The early Spitfire cranks are elegant looking, if not anemic.  The later
ones will give Charles Atlas a hernia tossing them around.  I still wonder
why the factory bothered to make the flywheel on the 1500 heavier... the
crank added more than enough rotational momentum!

I just wish Triumph had followed MG/Austin's lead and produced a Spitfire
crank out of EN40, nitrided.

Just ask a true Cooper S owner!

Cheers,

Jim