Re: Bolts removed, engine and tranny mated togethor

To: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Bolts removed, engine and tranny mated togethor
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 07:21:04 -0700

"Bowen, Patrick A RP2" wrote:

> Well the bolts came out of the flywheel halfway easy (at least something is
> going my way)  I bought $20 worth of left handed drill bits, extractors, and
> taps just to find out that a small screw driver and a hammer would remove
> them painlessly in about 20 minutes.  Lesson learned, new toys will be put
> away for another day.
>
> The engine and tranny are now mated and all is set.  I will be placing the
> manifolds on the car today along with the alternator and starter.  And then
> the engine is 100%.  Two quick questions for the group.
>
> 1.)  how long of studs do you use on the intake and exhaust manifolds?

There are two different sizes.  The outer two protrude from the head one inch.
The inner 6 stick out 1.5". Add to that about 1/2 inch threads into the block
and there you have it.

> 2.)  how does the alternator connect?  I have the bracket but do not
> clearley see how this sets up.  Where does the top bolt connect, I have the
> bracket but do not see where it bolts.  Also where does the big spacer go,
> in front or behind?  and is it the only spacer?
>
>From the rear of the alternator going forward, the following pieces are in
>this order:

1. Rear alternator ear
2. large bracket mounted to the block
3. Long Spacer
4. Front engine plate
5. Front alternator ear.

The adjustment bracket is attached to the top left hand bolt that secures the
water pump housing.

Regards,
Joe