Re: Tire problems

To: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Tire problems
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 07:31:28 -0700
I am assuming we're talking about a 1500 Spitfire?
Well you could install the MK4 axles.  That would give you a 2 inch
narrower track though.
I am running 205/60 13's on 6 inch rims and had no problems with rubbing
(even before I went to the GT6 rear) and that was with the longer 1500
axles, so I'm sure that the extra rim width pushes the sidewall out enough
to cause the rubbing.  The other option is to have a GOOD body shop "roll"
the fender lip in.  It may give you enough clearance, and a GOOD shop
should be able to do it without damaging or very minimal damage to the paint.
The squat is fairly normal, and on the later Spitfires with the longer
axles even more pronounced due to the leverage provided by their increased
length.  This is also why 1500's have a more pronounced squat and even more
negative camber in the rear than MK4 and earlier Spitfires.  It's not a
function of the Swing spring per say, [yeah I know, I mentioned it :-)] but
more a function of the suspension geometry with almost all parts being the
same (except for the longer axles, radius rods, the slightly different
vertical links installed angle adding to the increased leverage).
>I know that 7 inch rims are too big, however they are very nice rare
>Appliance Industries wheels and I would like to keep them, (unless someone
>can tell me where to get a smaller pair).
>
>My solution at this point is to keep the air shocks very well inflated.  I
>am preparing to order new tires and am looking at 195/60/13's  which are
>1/2" shorter and 1/2" narrower.  something else I am contemplating is have
>the machine shop shave the mounting face of the wheel down to bring the
>offset more into the wheel well.  There is about an inch of aluminum at that
>point.  Is there someone that knows how much I could get away with taking
>off?  (Barry you out there?) .
>
>What other solutions are there?

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)