Re: Pinion seal orientation

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pinion seal orientation
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:59:06 -0400
Jeff, I'll second Patrick's oil seal orientation etc.

Double check the inner and outer dimensions of the seal before you fit it
though. I have had a few problems with seals not being the correct diameters
even though the manufacturers part number says its for my car. I gave up on
that type of seal for the front bearings (after 3 sets none of which were
correct) and went back to the felt ones( which I even had a problem with and
ended using the new felt pieces in the old steel rims). Which reminds me, I
must remember to check the play on the hubs this weekend. (And yes I did use
the trick of tightening to compress them).
That newer type of oil seal worked fine on the pinnion though.

Alan