Leaking brake line connection

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking brake line connection
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:49:40 -0700
Hello Spits fans.

Ever since I upgraded to DOT 5 after restoring the brakes on my car (they
didn't work at all when I took possession), I've noticed that I need to add
a bit more fluid every couple of months or so.  Not much, but a bit.

Crawling under the car a week or so ago, I noticed some brake fluid on the
threads of the left rear connection between the flexible rubber brake hose
and the steel brake line.  I know that I tightened that mother down as far
as I could because when I did, I could see the brake line beginning to twist
a little (just a bit, mind you), like a piece of licorice.

Yet, I see traces of DOT 5 on the remaining exposed threads of the flexible
brake hose.  Is the double flare at the end of that brake line not
sufficient?  What are your suggestions on how I can elimnate this leak,
without permanently locking the thing down, other than removing the fitting
and wrapping the threaded brake hose end with pipe dope (which is probably
what I should have done to begin with!)?

Did I just answer my own question??

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
The Vintage Spitfire Forum -- moderated and friendly
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/spitforum.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!