Silicone brake fluid identification (limited lbc content)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Silicone brake fluid identification (limited lbc content)
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 14:03:05 -0400
To all you silicone brake fluid convertee's, how does one positively identify
if the brake fluid in the
resivour is silicone?  Reason I ask is the 89 Volvo I purchased recently has
pretty redish colored
fluid in it.  I just assumed this was some special Volvo die in regular gylcol
based brake fluid.
But perhaps it's actually silicone, in which case lots of problems would result
if I topped it off with
LMA fluid.  Is there a taste test or something that I can use to differentiate
silicone fluid from glycol
based fluids that are died?

And if any of you have silicone fluid in an abs equipped car, I'd like to hear
about it.  My understanding
(and the owners manual warning statement) is that silicone brake fluids aren't
compatable with
abs brakes.  Well, I've got abs.