Re: Crashpad restoration

To: "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz>
Subject: Re: Crashpad restoration
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 17:30:53 -0400
Coverlays are semi-rigid plastic covers that fit over your current crashpad.
They look reasonable but are easily distinguished from the original. I got one
but never put it on. The right way to do it is to apply vinyl over the current
crashpad. VTR has a great description on how to do it.
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/dash-recovering.html

Some points that I found during my project:

Use epoxy to fill the cracks and then smooth out the surface to match the
surrounding area.

Don't use contact cement to hold the vinyl. On a hot day it just softens and the
vinyl comes loose. There may also be some reaction with the oil residue in the
vinyl itself. I have seen a high-heat version of spray-on contact cement that
might work. I recommend an epoxy.

Be selective in the vinyl thickness. My vinyl was a little on the thick side and
presented a problem re-assembling the crashpad. I end up trimming so that it
would fit better with the dash.

When your done, the result is a crashpad that is virtually indistinguishable
from the original.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario