RE: Crashpad restoration

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Crashpad restoration
From: J Constantino <jjcon2@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:10:47 -0700 (PDT)

I found the overlay covers to be a bit too glossy and
didn't like the feel of them.

My pad only had 2 cracks in it, but most of the vinyl
had become very brittle.  It didn't make sense to me
to put new vinyl over the old brittle stuff. I was
afraid any new cracks that formed in the old vinyl
would show through the new cover, so I CAREFULLY
removed the old vinyl off the foam pad and glued a new
cover onto the old foam.  Don't peel it like a banana,
you will ruin the foam.  Use a putty knife and work at
the glue bond between the foam and vinyl.

I just used automotive grade vinyl and contact cement
and followed the advice given on the VTR page Vic
mentioned.

Hopefully the glue I used will hold better than the
stuff Vic used...

Jason C
GT6

http://photos.yahoo.com/